From: psyche-list-admin@redhat.com [mailto:psyche-list-admin@redhat.com]
On Behalf Of Michael Schwendt
Sent: Sunday, January 26, 2003 4:16 AM
To: psyche-list@redhat.com
Subject: Re: Firewall settings

On Sun, 26 Jan 2003 01:47:11 -0500, Buck wrote:

> I just followed the instructions in 'Red Hat Linux 8 For Dummies' to
> setup a firewall.
>
> For some reason it doesn't work.
>
> The book uses an example for a modem, but I need to make it work for
> an Ethernet.  There is only one NIC in the computer and the LAN going
> to the internet is connected to it.
>
> I tried it verbatim to the book and failed.

Are you sure?  If exactly that example is printed in the book, the
book is crap.

> One line has an error so I
> changed it.  The changed line is marked with an asterisk.
>
> iptables --flush
> iptables --flush -t nat
> iptables -A INPUT -j DROP
> iptables -A OUTPUT -j DROP

Basically, what each of the two commands above does at that position
in the script, is putting a rule at the _beginning_ of a chain which
drops all packets. It becomes clear when you use the long options:

   iptables --flush
   iptables --flush --table nat
   iptables --append INPUT --jump DROP
   iptables --append OUTPUT --jump DROP

Both INPUT and OUTPUT chain are empty (flushed), so "--append"
stores the next rule as the first rule in the chain. That rule tells
the packet filter to drop everything. Any subsequent rules are not
evaluated at all.

> iptables -A OUTPUT -j ACCEPT -o lo
> iptables -A INPUT j ACCEPT -i lo
> * iptables -A INPUT -j ACCEPT -i lo
> iptables -A OUTPUT -m state --state NEW,RELATED,ESTABLISHED -j ACCEPT
> iptables -A INPUT -m state --state RELATED,ESTABLISHED -j ACCEPT
>
> When I turn off the firewall, I can access the internet, but with it
> on, I cannot access the internet.

Replace the two wrong rules with:

  iptables --policy INPUT DROP
  iptables --policy OUTPUT DROP