RE: MySQL IDE and Language (long)

Buck,

JDBC (Java DataBase Connectivity) is a set of APIs which various
database drivers adhere to.  It is the de-facto method by which you
connect to and run queries against an RDBMS from within a Java
application.  Because all drivers should implement these APIs, it
becomes much easier to write programs that can talk to many different
RDBMS implementations.  (Note that I said easier, which does not mean
"simple" or "fool-proof")  For example, you could write a program which
uses the MySQL JDBC drivers to connect to a MySQL database.  Later you
could move your data into a PostgreSQL database.  In order for your
application to use the new database, you will have to install the
PostgreSQL database drivers, change the connect string your program
uses, and perhaps tweak a few SQL statements.  Your application should
then run against the PostgreSQL database.  Depending on whether you
hard-code the connect string and SQL statements into your code (not
recommended), this may not even require a re-compile.

You can find documentation on how create java programs which use JDBC
here:

http://java.sun.com/docs/books/tutorial/jdbc/index.html

If you have questions, email me off list and I will try to help you.

--
Philip A. Chapman

Application Development:
Java, Visual Basic, VB for Applications, PostgreSQL, MySQL, MSSQL
Linux, Windows 9x, Windows NT, Windows 2000, Windows XP