RE: Messenger Poppups

On Sat, 2003-01-25 at 15:00, Buck wrote:
> I do have a firewall.  I learned really quick how to stop the problem.
> My original question was whether or not Redhat had a similar problem.  I
> have learned that the problem is unique to "windoz".

It occurred to me later that a useful piece of advise would be to look
at what your machine is listening to using "netstat".  Netstat is
available in both Windows and Unix, though Linux's version provides a
great deal more information than the standard BSD one (which is
basically what you get with NT).

Under Linux, one useful invocation is:
netstat -tulnp

This lists the (t)cp sockets and (u)dp sockets which are (l)istening, in
(n)umeric format, and the (p)rogram that has the socket open.

If a service is listening on 0.0.0.0, it's available to the world at
large (unless firewall rules prevent it).  On a normal desktop, which
you don't need to access remotely, you can probably disable all
listening services.  The "p" option should help you figure out what
services should be disabled.

NT won't give you quite as much information, notably not the program
listening to the socket.  You might be able to find additional software
that can give you that information, though.

The problem that you were seeing is a result of NT's default setup
listening to ports that it shouldn't on the internet in general.  If a
machine (NT or Unix) isn't listening to input from the network, there's
a great deal less the network can do to it.