Re: I am ready to throw my mouse out the window!

On 08:56 24 Jan 2003, Aaron Konstam <akonstam@Trinity.Edu> wrote:
| On Thu, Jan 23, 2003 at 01:17:58PM -0500, Buck wrote:
| > Boy, Linux is case sensitive.  I didn't know that section existed. I am
| > still new to Linux.

UNIX is generally case sensitive.

[...]
| > Well, there is one more, at the top of the page:
| >
| > Section "ServerLayout"
| > 	Identifier	"Anaconda Configured"
| > 	Screen	0 "Screeno" 0 0
| > 	InputDevice		"Mouse0" "CorePointer"
| > 	InputDevice		"Mouse1" "SendCoreEvents"
| > 	InputDevice		"Keyboard0" "CoreKeyboard"
| > EndSection
| >
| > I changed the screen resolution to 800 x 600 and now the mouse makes it
| > across the screen while still on the pad, but I still have to swing my
| > hand all the way across the pad.
| >
| > My XP mouse moves across the screen with a movement of only 1.5 inches.

I suggest you run whatever res you like and instead fiddle with the "xset"
command once X11 is running. See "man xset" for info; you want the "m"
argument to control the mouse acceleration. I have this:

	xset m 3 4

in my X11 startup, which an acceleration of 3 and a threshold of 4.
That means that if you move the mouse more than 4 pixles (the threshold)
quickly, the motion scale will be multiplied by 3 (the acceleration).
So you can do fine positioning with small motions and big movements with
larger motions. Adjust to suit your preference.

Cheers,
--
Cameron Simpson, DoD#743        cs@zip.com.au    http://www.zip.com.au/~cs/

It's in the rich legal tradition of Apple Computer who, in their famous
suit against Microsoft and HP, claimed that the idea of ripping off
Xerox was their intellectual property.
	- John Iodice <jiodice@sard.telesciences.com>