Re: Messenger Popups

wow... anyone who has their windows machine directly on the internet without any sort of firewall deserves to get these ads ... and it should say you are really not very smart for doing this.. dont you know how insecure it is to run NetBIOS over TCP on an internet connected machine.

Tommy

Buck wrote:
Sorry, Patrick,
I forgot to clarify the messenger I am referring to is a windows
service, not instant messenger service. Windows messenger is installed
in all computers and is in no way related to the msn messenger, aim,
gaim, yahoo, etc. Spammers have found that they can probe windows computers for ports and
if they have messenger running, they send what appears to be a dialog
box, with only one button "ok" to close it. It does not record from
where the message originates or even give you a click to access the
advertised website.
This messenger works even when MSN messenger is uninstalled.

Unfortunately this is one of those occasions where it gets complicated
to discuss because Microsoft created names so many things the same.

The service is probably most often used by network admins who send
messages to all computers that they are taking down the server or a
power failure triggers the ups which, after a while, sends notice that
the power is low and it needs to power down the server. Some Anti-virus
programs use it to alert users that it discovered a virus. Its just a
rough dialog box.
Thanks

Buck