Re: Installation problems RH 8.0

Hi all,

I kept having problems installing my new RH 8 software. It seems that every time I would get to the part where X starts, the installation would BOMB OUT! Sometimes the process would get as far as the first screen which allows you to choose your language but then it would bomb out there. I tried all the settings (i.e. to stop it from polling video, etc.) but to no avail. I tried starting in text mode and "no go" there either. I checked the info that came with my motherboard and found that when you use the integrated (on-board) video, the computer allocates up to 32 megabytes of ram to video. I ran a hardware test on my computer and I found the problem....I had some bad memory in my machine! I replaced the defective memory and the install progressed happily to its conclusion. Hopefully this may help others who are attempting installs and are just not getting anywhere. Check your hardware (especially memory, if you are using on-board video and it uses some of your computer's memory for video ram.)

Good Luck,

John Dolan, IS and Technology Director
Seal-Rite Door, Inc.
36 Shackleford Rd
Pataskala, OH 43062
(740)927-3558 ex. 31
johnd@seal-ritedoor.com
"75% of the Earth is covered by water, the rest is covered by Seal-Rite"