Re: Samba and Server Access

On Fri, 2003-01-24 at 13:00, Buck wrote:
> I have finally succeeded in setting up an account on my Linux box that
> can be accessed by my XP computer.

[snip]
> What I need to do now is to setup Buck and Mac in a user group on
> Penguin that can only have access remotely
in /etc/passwd change the last field from probably '/bin/bash/ to
'/sbin/nologin'.  You'll have to test how this affects samba though, as
far as I can tell, it doesn't (ran a quick test).

>  and can only access one
> folder branch (Oasis).
smb.conf:
[someshare]
	path = /tmp/niceppl
	valid users = buckuser, macuser
	wide links = No
	read only = no
and maybe some others, such as
	browseable = no
to be 'covert'!

>   After that I will want to setup a second group
> called "Processors" and a folder called "Processing" which will be their
> exclusive access.
similarly as above, but change valid users.  Is the group name really
necessary if they can't login to the smb host?

> Finally I want to setup an "Admin" account for myself
> to have access to the entire Linux computer remotely or at the keyboard.
locally:
redhat-config-users
add your own user name, then
visudo
and give yourself sudo privelages.
now type 'sudo command' for anything that needs >user level access.
remotely:
there are many things you can do.  I prefer ssh, which then lets you set
up ssh port forwarding to connect to, for example, swat.

> I realize this is too much for one to answer on this forum, but maybe
> someone can point me in the right direction or outline the steps I need
> to lookup in the books.
I highly recommend swat for configuring samba.  Its online help and
'graphical' interface have been invaluable to me in setting it up.

> Thank you all for your help.
no worries :) hope I haven't made any mistakes...
ciao,
--
Iain Buchanan <iain@nospam.pcorp.com.au>
Forty two.