Re: Permissions with Samba

David.Grudek@anixter.com wrote:
I have samba working correctly just past the point of the share.  If I have
a share called data and a sub folder called accounting and i want change
the permission's on that folder the same way I could in windoze, how could
I do that?  I want to limit it to specific people or groups.  I also want
to limit it to one person read, one person write, one person denied access,
or one person full control.  Basically, How do I change permissions on
subdirectories that are not listed in the smb.conf file.
Permissions for samba can be hard to understand. The key point is that the only permissions that apply are the LINUX permissions, and LINUX users/groups. The Windows user ID/password are not used (except to authenticate to samba initially), and Windows permissions do not apply.

Generally, if you use samba user level permissions, you map a Windows ID to a local Linux UID, then the Linux UID/GID permissions are used. If there is no matching ID on the Linux side, then the user gets mapped to the guest user, usually "nobody" and those permissions are applied. Access to the samba shares is only part of the equation, then normal linux permissions take over. For example, there is not really a analogue to the Windows "Denied Access" permission in linux.

Lots of good info at samba.org.

Best Regards,
Keith
--