Re: Contacting an Open Relay server user by spammer

On Wed, 2003-01-22 at 09:44, Mark C wrote:
> Gordon Messmer wrote:
>
> >>So am I correct in thinking, the mail originated from a blueyonder
> >>dialup/broadband account?
>
> I just want to make 100% sure that this is correct, the original sender
> of the spam, has a blueyonder account?
> So the spammer could not of come from say a freeserver or ntl account
> connection?

Your mail server identified mail.pcc.edu.cn as the previous hop, and you
should be able to trust that.  mail.pcc.edu.cn identified the blueyonder
account as the previous hop to that.  You can't necessarily trust a mail
server you don't control, but that one is clearly an open relay, so it's
plausible that the previous hop was as identified.