Re: XFree86 configuration

On Wed, 2003-01-22 at 04:01, Ed.Greshko@greshko.com wrote:
> While installing RH 8 I chose to "Skip X Configuration".  After that I
> found that Xconfigurator has been replaced by redhat-config-xfree86.
>
> I ran that using --reconfig --noui and an XF86Config file was created but
> X refuses to start when given a "startx" command.
>
> The error is...
>
> Fatal server error:
> no screens found
>
> I don't see what is wrong in the config.....
>
> Anyone?

Something is not right with the monitor section of the config file.  Try
moving the existing /etc/X11/XF86Config file out of the way and then run
'redhat-config-xfree86'

Does the program start?  If so, go to the "Advanced" tab and see if the
monitor was detected properly.  If not, click on the "Configure" button
for the monitor and select the correct monitor from the list.  Then
click "Ok" twice to exit the program then type 'startx' to see if it
worked.

Cheers,
   Brent