RE: linux security/network issue....

On Sat, 2003-01-18 at 13:09, Bruce Douglas wrote:
> steven...
>
> thanks for the input.... sorry.. the ip address wasn't my real address!!!
> however, the following is the output of the commands that you suggested...
> everything looks ok.. but i'm new to Linux...
>
> do i have to shut Linux down before these changes go into effect....??
>
> after stopping the iptables.. i tried to hit my external server.. no
> change... any other suggestions!!! i've been playing with this for 2-3 days
> now!!! and frankly.. i'm not sure why this is an issue.. and windows
> isn't!!!

-----
There's been perhaps way too many suggestions on your problems so I'm
not going to add much to the noise here except to clarify some things.

- if you make changes to ip address/default gateway...you need to
restart the network service / not the computer
service network restart

- your logs make me think that the network card is working fine, your
output of netstat makes me think that eth0 is working fine but your
output of ifconfig shows an eth1 adaptor without an address...that
shouldn't occur...try:
rm /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth1
service network restart
then ifconfig should only list eth0 and lo

- when trying to solve a problem...start with the lowest common
denominator:
  - service iptables stop (good - remove firewall from consideration)
  - from windows computer 'ping 192.168.1.52' - does it reply?
  - from linux computer 'ping 192.168.1.2' - does windows computer
    reply?
  - don't ping the linksys router as I am not certain that they reply.
  - does the linux computer get to the internet? can you ping your
    isp's dns server from the linux computer? does dns work...can you
    ping www.yahoo.com?
  - I asked this up front but never saw a reply...can your windows
    computer access the web server? <http://192.168.1.52> if not...
    can you access it from localhost? <e.g. can you use mozilla in
    X windows <http://localhost>

- Trust in that this all works and works very well. There's something
wrong with your setup and you will probably learn some valuable lessons
in figuring this all out.

Craig