nsswitch.conf pam_ldap and nss_ldap

My network has a Sun LDAP server (for pam_ldap) with extra stuff to
support linux and works for RH 7.x and up.. except below

I lost my psyche box last night.. I ran a full "up2date -fu" ...
rebooted.. and there were TONS of strange errors about users not
existing during boot.. when it got to the console login screen, I could
not even login as root... snooping on the ldapserver showed that it was
doing ldap searches, even for local accounts?? which I thought I filed a
bug on back in 7.2?? guess that its not fixed yet...

I did not have a RH8 CD to boot from, but had phoebe beta, so I used
that to re-install... has anyone else had this problem after the latest
updates on up2date ... I am going to do a VMWARE machine running 8.0 to
see if I can reproduce the problem. Does anyone else even use pam_ldap
or nss_ldap ??? nsswitch.conf does not appear to be used ... or its
broken?? I was using a non-modified-since-install of all config related
to authentication and nss stuff.

Tommy

--
Tommy McNeely <Tommy.McNeely@Sun.com>