Re: IDE head scratcher

> I unplugged the HD, and I could boot from the CDROM, so that worked
> fine.  I plugged the CDROM into the HD cable, ran fine.  I plugged the
> HD into the CDROM cable, and it booted!  I plugged the HD back into the
> primary cable and the CD back into the secondary cable, and it hangs at
> the same place.
>
> Any idea why this hard drive refuses to be a primary master and run
> fine as a secondary master?

Are you sure it isn't because you have your device names
hardcoded into your /boot/grub/grub.conf file?  If you move
your hard-drive from primary master (/dev/hda) to secondary
master (/dev/hdc) {as far as I remember} and that works, I
suspect you have /dev/hdcX coded in for your root partition.

If that's the case, and you want to switch them around, just
change it to /dev/hdaX.

Hope that helps,
Steve