Re: ghosts in the machine (or just another UTS?)

On Wednesday 15 January 2003 15:12, anthony baldwin wrote:
> I tried to install kcreatecd and was told there was a missing dep, mpg123
> Now, I thought that I had installed that, so I found the tar for it in my
> /home and extracted it again and installed it. Then I tried to install
> kcreatecd from rpm again, and I got the same message, that mpg123 was
> "unlocatable". (Same msg about libvorbisfile.so.0).
> Is this a UTS bug?

No... RPMS can not satisfy dependencies from source installed software.  If an
rpm has a dep, you must install an rpm to fix it.

> Also, I have installed j2re-1_4_1 (from sun) about a dozen times, (I get a
> message stating that it IS installed, so I have removed and re-installed,
> even) and still can't seem to run java stuff. (java -jar swingman.jar gives
> nothing, etc.) AND on top of that, I finally got around to updating my OO.o
> to 1.0.1, and the setup said that java was not available.   Another UTS
> bug?

Java rpm installs to a pretty funky location.  /lib/java/version/foo or
something.  rpm -ql $javarpm to see where it puts the files, then update your
path and javapath accordingly.  There is a nice little howto found here:
http://www.halley.cc/ed/linux/howto/

--
Jesse Keating RHCE MCSE
For Web Services and Linux Consulting, Visit --> j2Solutions.net

Was I helpful?  Let others know: