Re: redhat8.0 on DELL Dimension 2350 - problems

On Wed, 2003-01-15 at 05:30, Ross Macintyre wrote:
> Hope someone can help.
> Trying to install RedHat 8.0 on a DELL Dimension 2350 and I've
> encountered 2 main problems already.
> 1st is the graphics: Doing a regular install failed when it got to the
> part where it tries and configures the XF86 stuff. I think it said
> something like invalid frequency or something. Anyway I decided to do
> the install using 'text mode' which has gone ok except now when I run
> redhat-config-xfree86 it fails.

I believe that the Dimension 2350 has the integrated Intel video built
in.  Is that the card you are using or have you added a separate video
card?  If you are using the built-in Intel video, I don't think that the
version of XFree86 that we shipped in 8.0 supports that graphics
adapter.  The latest XFree86 should support that card, so you may be
interested in trying the Phoebe beta to see if your card works with the
latest XFree86.

My wife has a Dimension 4500S that has the same graphics board and we
wound up putting a Radeon 7500 card in the machine so that RHL 8.0 would
work.

Cheers,
   Brent