From: "John BouAntoun" <John.BouAntoun@rogen.com.au>
To: <psyche-list@redhat.com>
Sent: Tuesday, January 14, 2003 4:17 PM
Subject: More ext3 partition resizing issues

> Hi Guys,
>
> So I got hold of Partition Magic 8 (which apparently can resize ext3
partitions) from the office. Booted into my windows system and resized (and
moved) the ext3 partition. Now I can't seem to get GRUB to load. Any help
here would be appreciated.

> System Setup Info:
>  - Win2K on hda1, Extended partition on hda2, Swap on hda3 and ext3 on
hda6 (mounted at /)

>  - Using win2k bootloader to load linux, by installing GRUB on the first
sector of hda6 and then peeling that bootsector (dd if=/dev/hda6
of=/bootsect.lnx bs=512 count=1).

>  - Old Partition Structure (in order on the disk)
>       - Win2k 24GB
> - Swap 1GB
> - Linux 3GB
>
>  - New Partition Strucutre (after using Partition magic 8)
>       - Win2k 21GB
> - Swap 1GB (whole partition has been moved forward)
> - Linux 6GB (start has been moved forward and size increased).
>
> So I can boot up linux in rescue mode (i.e. running 'linux rescue' on the
rh 8 CD1) and see all my files. All files appear to be intact and valid. I
then 'chroot /var/sysimage' to get the correct /, and then re-peel the
bootsector, install the newly peeled bootsector file in windows and still
can't get the startup screen for linux to go past the 'GRUB' in the top left
corner  of the screen.

> I don't know how to use GRUB, and was hoping that there was just a simple
command switch I need to run with GRUB (or even a config change) so that I
can reinstall the GRUB boot loader on hda6 (like the old lilo days)? Is this
what I need to do, or is there something else I'm missing?