Re: Increasing an ext3 partition

Robert P. J. Day wrote:

On Mon, 13 Jan 2003, Javier Gostling wrote:

On Tue, Jan 14, 2003 at 08:31:12AM +1100, John BouAntoun wrote:

[snip]

So my question is, how do I expand my ext3 / partition to take up the newly freed up hard disk space?

Parted is the tool. You could also make a new partition in the freed
space, move some hierarchy to it and configure your system to use this
new partition. Finally, you can always backup, remove the current
partition, create a new (larger) partition and restore your data.

or start using the LVM (logical volume manager). i'm surprised that
more people aren't suggesting that. is LVM just not popular, or what?

Telling people to use lvm at this point is sort of like. Oh... Telling a guy who's shirt is on fire that he shouldn't wear flamable clothing.

--
There is no such thing as obsolete hardware.
Merely hardware that other people don't want.