Re: pkgadd, pkginfo for Linux

On Mon, Jan 13, 2003 at 10:14:58PM +0100, Abdelkader DALI wrote:
> I'd like to install a software on my redhat 8 system which has been designed
> for SunOs. It requires pkgadd, pkginfo products. Do these products exist for
> Linux ?

pkgadd and friends are the tools that collectively make up the package
management system under Solaris. Presumably, you're wanting to run Solaris
executables under Linux, then. There are a whole bunch of problems with what
you're probably trying to do (I say probably, because I'm making a few
assumptions about your setup and motives).

Solaris packages are really just cpio archives with a little semantic glue
packed around them. So, technically, unpacking them under Linux shouldn't be
incredibly hard (now that I think about it, raw cpio may just do the trick).
You'll need to write these tools; to the best of my knowledge (someone will
probably correct me as soon as I send this ;-), package-compatible versions
of these don't exist right now. However, assuming you get past that, you now
have a couple of problems:

- You're (probably; I assume you're not running Solaris x86, because, well,
  if you are, you already have enough problems ;-) trying to run binaries
  for a completely different hardware platform. Not gonna work. Period.
  Unless someone has written "VMWare SPARC" while I've been dozing. ;-) If
  you're running Solaris x86, then...

- You're trying to run binaries built for a completely differen operating
  system. Because Solaris and Linux have ELF in common, you might actually
  be able to get something working here by mass-importing libraries from
  Solaris until you have a working environment. But at that point, you're
  really just running Solaris on Linux, which begs the question of why you
  wouldn't just use Solaris for the job ;-)

If you're skilled, you may be able to make something work, depending on the
software and architecture it targets. But just use Solaris. Or get a Linux
version of whatever software you're trying to run. You'll be much happier.

--
Edward S. Marshall <esm@logic.net>
http://esm.logic.net/

Felix qui potuit rerum cognoscere causas.