Re: Linux backup software

Lionel Barrow wrote:

> Ok guys, I got hopefully an easy question for you to answer. I need a
> reputable, powerful and easy to configure Linux backup program. I am going
> to be configuring several RH 8.0 machines for some of my customers and I
> want a solution where they just have to insert a tape, click a button and
> the next day, take that tape out, another one and repeat process.
>
> Please, I need as many suggestions as possible with their associated web
> links. This is very urgent. Thanks in advance guys.
>
> Salty
>
> --

Well, let's see - large subject. Where to begin?

First off, do some googling as there's a lot of info out there for linux backup
software.
You could start here:

http://www.linuxjournal.com/bg/advice/archive.php

Some questions to ask yourself:

DO you want to buy or use free stuff?
How much to spend?
Do you want to lock your customers into a propriatary scheme?
Will you provide the first line support?
How easy is easy? All backup software requires configuration.
What tape devices will be/might be used?
Is it possible Windows machines be involved later?
Is it possible other Unix machines be involved later?

Perhaps you should decide which backup scheme you would like to support. Then
you can support your customers in the best way.

FWIW, I use amanda as it uses the native backup tools in the OS. It was a bit of
a beast to configure at first, and no fancy GUI.
But I won't switch to anything else.

-tkb