Re: sendmail config's

On Mon, 2003-01-13 at 03:31, Rob Unsworth wrote:
> On Sun, 12 Jan 2003, Tommy McNeely wrote:
>
> > It should be a symlink that is changed by the "switchmail" app... so
> > incase you are using postfix then it could be
> >
> > /etc/aliases -> /etc/postfix/aliases
> >
> > and if you are using sendmail, it could be
> >
> > /etc/aliase -> /etc/mail/aliases
> >
> > .... right?
>
> Not really.
>
> The question was " What's the reason for moving /etc/mail/alias to the
> /etc directory?? Everything else is in /etc/mail.
>
> It hasn't been moved *to* the /etc directory, that is where it has always
> been. The following is an extract from "man newaliases"
>
> "Newaliases  rebuilds  the  random  access data base for the mail aliases
> file /etc/aliases.  It must be run each time this file is changed in order
> for the change to take effect"
>
> Regards,
> Rob

ooops.. should have qualified my response with... /etc/aliases is the
default location (at least in 8.10)... however.. it would be cooler to
make a symlink and have it controlled by redhat-switchmail so if we
decide to "switch" to postfix, which prefers its alias file to be in
/etc/postfix/aliases by default, and some poor app (some email virus
scanner I was installing) modified /etc/aliases, it actually goes to the
correct file :)

$ ls -l aliases
lrwxrwxrwx   1 root     root           14 Jan  3 19:27 aliases ->
./mail/aliases

In case anyone wonders (or cares), Solaris already links /etc/aliases ->
/etc/mail/aliases

Tommy