Re: can't get the proper PATH variable with root

On Mon, Jan 13, 2003 at 12:05:50AM +0100, Michael Schwendt wrote:
> > > Don't switch to user root, *log in* as root. Use either of
> > > these:
> > >
> > >   $ su --login
> > >   $ su -l
> > >   $ su -
> >
> > This is one possible solution, depending on what the user wants to do.
> > However, it is often undesireable, for a variety of reasons.  For
> > example,
>
> -cut-
>
> Derek, forgive my ignorance, but above I see a user who asks
> specifically why turning to root with su inherits the normal user's
> path. Hence I point him to a desirable (!) option that would solve
> his particular problem.

Yeah, except as I already said, if he wants to run X apps as root,
your solution may not work, which certainly would make it
undesireable.

As it happens, it seems to work fine on RH8; but with older releases
of Red Hat (7.2, for example, and many other distros, as well as other
Unix platforms) it often does not.  It has to do with whether or not
the X authentication is automatically handled correctly for the user.
It would seem that the version of su shipped with RH8 has been patched
to copy the user's MIT magic cookies into a temporary file in root's
home directory, and set the XAUTHORITY environment variable
appropriately.  After the su session is terminated, the temporary file
is removed.

However, this behavior is relatively new...  Historically, this has
not been the case, and in order for X applications to work properly
after "su -" one had to copy the magic cookies manually, via the xauth
utility.  I was surprised to find that it did work without any
additional manipulation of X authentication cookies on the part of the
user.  As I have said, historically this would have been necessary,
and it's very likely that if the reader were to try this elsewhere, it
would NOT work.

Additionally, there are other circumstances under which this could
break things, though such other problems tend to be
environment-specific and hence hard to enumerate.  The point is, even
if your solution does meet the OP's needs, it's still worth noting
that it may break things elsewhere...

> Therefore I find the beginning of your comment (or should I say
> "correction") inappropriate. You're free to expand on alternative
> solutions, though.

...so no, it wasn't inappropriate.

Also note that I was not correcting you.  As anyone can plainly see
above, I explicitly stated that the solution you provided was a
possible solution to the problem, and then went on to "expand on
alternative solutions", as you so graciously permitted me.

You're being oversensitive.  Please chill.

- --
Derek D. Martin
http://www.pizzashack.org/
GPG Key ID: 0xDFBEAD02