Re: xterm does not use .Xresources in KDE

On 9 Jan 2003, Keith Winston wrote:

=>On Thu, 2003-01-09 at 15:27, Steven W. Orr wrote:
=>[snip]
=>
=>>  KDE is not respecting or using my .Xresources
=>
=>> In the KDE control center goto Look & Feel => Colors => Apply colors to
=>> non-KDE apps. Make sure the box is *not* checked.
=>
=>That worked!  Thanks!

As a further optimization, I strongly encourage you to do away (as much as
possible with your .Xresources file and go with a directory of resource
files. Then set your XUSERFILESEARCHPATH variable. Also, make your
/etc/profile set up the XFILESEARCHPATH variable. This is a much better
system for setting resources. Here are my values:

513 > echo $XFILESEARCHPATH
/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/app-defaults/%N%C:/usr/share/texmf/xdvi/%N%C
514 > echo $XUSERFILESEARCHPATH
/home/steveo/.app-defaults/%N%C
515 >

Note the use of %N%C. The N expands to the classname of the client. The C
expands to the customization resource. So in *my* .Xresources file I have
just this:

516 > cat .Xresources
*customization: -color
*StringConversionWarnings: on
517 >

and then I explicitly load whatever remaing miscellania I have in my
.Xdefaults (mine is empty).

This way, you can just add any additional directories to the list as
needed. Also, if you want to change something just edit the appropriate
resource file and then just restart the client. Learn to use editres: he's
your friend.

Also, you are allowed to leave off the leading client name inside a
resource file of that name. e.g. My ~/.app-defaults/XTerm-color file says

               *background:     white
instead of saying
            XTerm*background:     white

--
-Time flies like the wind. Fruit flies like a banana. Stranger things have -
-happened but none stranger than this. Does your driver's license say Organ