Problems running 2.4.20 kernel

Hi,

I've got two RH8.0 systems, I'm building kernels (2.4.20) on one for
deploying on the other (different architectures, set up etc).

The first problem I encountered (one that has been reported in the
archives) is that the kernel fails to boot with:

'Kernel panic: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on 00:00'

- to get round this I modified lilo to give the root partition (i.e.
/dev/hda7 in my case).

This makes it boot further but the rc.sysinit script blows up when
trying to remount the / partition and then everything falls apart.

I've run this same kernel on a RH6.2 system and it works fine (I'm
porting our app which originally was based on a RH6.2 install to RH8.0).

I wondered if there was something in the rc.sysinit file causing the
problem and so took rc.sysinit from one of the old 6.2 systems (only as
a test) but that also blows up at the same point - so I guess it must be
different behaviour in some of the updated binaries (i.e. mount etc.).

Anyone got any ideas on how to solve this?

Any help much appreciated,

Thanks,

Glen