Re: ntpd problems

On Mon, 6 Jan 2003, Ed Wilts wrote:

> I certainly don't think you need 5-10 servers!  For a typical home user,
> 2 normally suffice.  Your ISP probably has time servers available and
> you should ask them first since they'll be the closest.  I synchronize
> my Linux server at home to 3 systems (all area universities) and then
> synchronize my other home systems to my Linux server.

The more you have the better approximation of UTC you'll get.  Only having
3 servers can lead to the following situation:

One server goes unavailable due to network problems at their site.  One of
the remaining servers in your list has a problem that skews it 30 minutes
away from UTC but doesn't impact its network performance, while the other
remains relatively true.  Your machine will average the two, and give you
a 15-minute offset time.

If you'd had another two servers with good times in your list, ntpd would
have ignored the time from the 30 minute skew.

> The fewer the systems you can synchronize to, the better, unless you
> have a very good reason for being paranoid (at work, we've also bought
> our own stratum 1 time server).

We synchronize one local timeserver against a broad list, and all local
machines sync against that one.  Many timeservers is good not only for
paranoia, but also gives a more robust and accurate local approximation of
UTC.  If you can't get the boss to spring for a stratum 1 server, 10
stratum-2 servers' opinions is the next best thing :)

--
Michael D. Jurney
mike@jurney.org