Re: The Strange Case Of The Installed Yet Uninstalled Package

On Saturday 04 January 2003 10:05 pm, John Lowell wrote:

> Incidently, sorry to be following up after such a long delay. I run a
> small business and I'm afraid its requirements were more than a little
> compelling over the last couple of days.

Not a problem. Been there, done that. ;)

> > First question. You're trying to build parted from source? Something
> > wrong with the included rpm?
> > [mfratoni@paradox slinky]$ whichcd -v 8.0 parted
>
> That is silly of me, isn't it? You know, I must have missed the
> installed package when I searched at first. I'm hoping to use parted
> with nparted, of all things, a parted "front end"! But that's a story
> in itself.

Well, you might be able to use the parted package, then you'll just have
to build the nparted front end. Saves some work perhaps.

> We still have the issue of the missing krb5-1.2.5-6
> preventing the installation of the Development Tools I'd like to get on
> this thing.
>
> You'd asked about the output from 'rpm -qa | grep krb5. Here's what I
> can tell you:
>
> [root@localhost root]# rpm -qa | grep krb5
> pam_krb5-1.56-1
> krb5-libs-1.2.5-7

Yup, as Michael Schwendt pointed out, this came up about a month ago on
the Red hat list. I vaguely remember the discussion. My guess is that it
is a fluke with the GUI package management tool.

'up2date -u krb5', should have been able to work out the deps and install
the needed package.

> [root@localhost root]# up2date -u gcc
[snip]
> Installing
>    1:gcc
>    2:glibc-devel
>    3.glibc-kernheader
>    4.binutils
[snip]
> Unless I'm missing something, we appear error free do we not? Your
> comments, observations at this point?

Yes, looks like you now have the basic development packages installed. You
may find you need a few more tools before many things will build
properly.
Off the top of my head:
$ whichcd -v 8.0 flex bison glib- cpp gtk+-dev XFree86-dev ncurses-dev

Searching for flex...
CD-1:flex-2.5.4a-26.i386.rpm

Searching for bison...
CD-1:bison-1.35-4.i386.rpm

Searching for glib-...
CD-1:glib-1.2.10-8.i386.rpm
CD-2:glib-devel-1.2.10-8.i386.rpm

Searching for cpp...
CD-1:cpp-3.2-7.i386.rpm

Searching for gtk+-dev...
CD-2:gtk+-devel-1.2.10-22.i386.rpm

Searching for XFree86-dev...
CD-2:XFree86-devel-4.2.0-72.i386.rpm

Searching for ncurses-de...
CD-1:ncurses-devel-5.2-28.i386.rpm

Some may already be installed, or depending on what programs your going to
try to build, you may not need all of them. Again, up2date is your friend
if you run into a dependency nightmare.
If the build process for your apps fails, post the output, and we'll see
if we can't figure out what's missing.

- --
- -Michael

- --