dual head inconvenience

I've just set up a dual head system (Matrox G450, RHL8.0, Metacity,
Xinerama) and I don't find it comfortable.  Why?

I sit with one screen in front of me, and one off to the side.  Since
they are 21 inch monitors, it would be awkward to sit in front of
both.  Besides, when they are placed close together there seems to be
magnetic interference between them.

I'd like to have most stuff happen on my main monitor, but be able to
drag widows to the other monitor.  I don't know how to make this
happen.  I can think of two ways, neither of which work.

1) Don't use Xinerama.  Then the two screens become different devices
   (i.e. DISPLAY=:0.0 for one and DISPLAY=:0.1 for the other).  The
   fundamental problem is that you cannot drag a window between
   devices, as far as I know.

2) Use Xinerama.  The two screens act as if they are one.  This just
   doesn't match my reality (me, the human part of the system).
   The most problematic feature of metacity is that its logic always
   seems to create new windows on the screen I'm not using.  In fact,
   it creates them on the far end of the screen I'm not using.

The second approach looks to me (not an X programmer) easier to fix.
I'd like to be able to tell Metacity to create windows in my primary
screen.  I would guess that programming this would be easy; a suitably
general design would be needed.

An even better approach, based on (2), would be if the two screens
could be used to show separate workspaces.  I have no idea if this
fits the structure of the X code.

I don't really understand the code in metacity's src/place.c, but that
seems to be where the placement decisions get made.  Short of hacking
the code, there does not seem to be any way of constraining the
placement to one screen.  It looks as if the exact wrong screen is
picked each time because it is emptier.  The far side of the wrong
screen is probably picked because it works left to right and my wrong
screen is on the left.

I found the following patch for WindowMaker that might satisfy my
requirements.  I've not tried it.
<https://windowmaker.org/lists/archive/wm-user/wm-user05819.shtml>

Hugh Redelmeier
hugh@mimosa.com  voice: +1 416 482-8253