Re: anoconda

On Thu, Jan 02, 2003 at 08:42:25PM +0100, Paul Ryan wrote:
> Is there a command to run maintains similar to Wins "maintenance wizard
> / preform maintenance now". Secondly is there a command to preform a
> surface scan, I know that there are bad sectors on my hard drive and I
> want them marked.

cron is the tool to schedule tasks.  A lot of maintenance tasks are
already scheduled for you - see /etc/cron*/*

Secondly, you don't really want to mark out bad blocks, you want to
replace the drive. I have yet to see a drive that has lasted for any
period of time with bad blocks marked - all have been indicative of a
pending hard failure, and I've been mananging systems for 20+ years.

If you really, really want to use your failing drive, look at the
badblocks command to do the surface scan.  man badblocks for more info.

        .../Ed

--
Ed Wilts, Mounds View, MN, USA
mailto:ewilts@ewilts.org