Re: How to port existing apps to xft2?

On Thu, 2003-01-02 at 14:09, Derek Martin wrote:
> > Xft2 is the font-rendering back-end, and not meant for everyday use. If
> > your application uses Qt2 or higher or GTK2 it's already using xft2 (on
> > psyche that is). If your application uses GTK1, you probably want to
> > port it to GTK2.
> Ok, well where do Xt apps fit in?  Or do they, even?

Both Qt and GTK do not depend on Xt. This does not prevent you from
running Xt applications. If you want to you could port Xaw to Xft.

> I'll take xterm over any of its replacements any day of the week.
> IMO, no one can touch it.  I don't much care if the fonts are
> anti-aliased, or if I can make my background "transparent" -- all that
> seems to accomplish is to slow command output WAY down...

It's called sacrificing performance for rendering quality and no sin.
Maybe you haven't found out, but it seems there's a button to turn the
anti-aliased stuff off...

> For comparison, open an xterm, gnome-terminal, and konsole all next to
> eachother (if you have room, or near to eachother if not).  Then:
>
>   $ ls -laR /
>
> ...in each of them.

Interesting benchmark, but when do you actually do that in real life? If
your terminal is scrolling so fast you can't read the text what is the
value of having a terminal instead of eg a progressbar?

> Notice that xterm blazes.  Konsole is noticably slower, and gnome-term
> is /dog/ slow.  The latter will eat up all of your CPU, even on a fast
> machine, whereas xterm uses very little cpu (of course both cause the
> X server to work).  And, xterm is more configurable, to boot (or if it
> isn't, then at least how to do so is well documented).
> Then make the terminal windows as tall as they'll fit on your screen
> and repeat.  Watch the effect become amplified.  xterm continues to
> zip along smoothly, KDE gets a little worse, and gnome-terminal is
> very choppy.  The xterm uses about 3-4% of the cpu, konsole uses about
> 40-45% of the cpu, and gnome-term sucks up about 60% of the cpu, with
> the X server using most of what's left in each case.
>
> Yucky.

Keep in mind that xft/render is quite new in the mainstream distributions
and will be optimized further. If you don't like it, just use xterm.
Your choice.

greets,
Klaasjan