Tales of Woe

I started out with an intel830M chipset which
necessitated the loading of an advanced x windows
leading
to a kernel upgrade 2-4-19 opp18 leading to a
defective
xmms downloading rpms to fix this broke the installer
and package manager leading to an apt install and a
synaptic install neither of which work leaving me
after nine weeks
with a machine that's great for surfing the net,but
can't
run a GUI install or check dependencies or conflicts
and
a scanner that remains undetected. If the aim of 8.0
was
to entice simpletons like myself with an easy,
functional
OS, then it was more a trial by fire than a success.
My
tech support aside from the generous at the psyche-
list
was four messages telling me that my tickets had
expired.
Other than fixing my updates, there was, in effect no
official support whatsoever. Mabey I'm expecting too
much. The next thing is to scrounge around for obscure
modules to try and detect my scanner and firewire
card.
It's not boring, but as much as I passionately hate
microsoft, I'm still spending a lot of time just
getting simple things to just work. I hope there will
come a day where I can say RH, it works!  Even
Libranet
sent me instructions on what module to install to
enable my PCMCIA card. I'd really like to see RH
triumph as an OS. My point is that I should be
enjoying
this OS and all I'm doing is jumping through hoops to
get it to do basic things that one would think would
just work.