man pages have funny characters

Hi all,

BACKGROUND

I just set up a new ssh server using the minimal install selection and
further customized it by also selecting individual packages. I added a
couple of packages and also deleted a bunch I would not need, such as the
kernel-pcmcia, wireless-tools packages etc. Since I'm not running X on
this box, I even went as far as removing all the XFREE86 packages that
were selected by default. (maybe this is my problem)

PROBLEM

Whenever i bring up a man page (see example below), there are all these
funny characters in it. Do I need to re-install on the XFREE packages to
solve this issue? The only dependency I saw for man was that it needed
GROFF which is installed. Thanks for your help!

Update Agent has a quite a few configuration options, including but not
       limited  to: installing packages after they are downloaded;
downloading
       source RPMs along with binary RPMs; whether or not to upgrade
packages
       where  the  default configuration file(s) have been modified, and
more.
       You can change these settings through a graphical interface by
running
       up2date�config,  or   you  can edit the configuration file
/etc/syscon�
       fig/rhn/up2date directly.  A  number  of  the  command  line
arguments
       described  below  can also be used at runtime to override
configuration
       options. There is also a text mode based configuration if invoked
with
       with the ��configure option.

       If you supply package names on the command line, those particular
pack�
       ages will be updated or installed if there are new versions
available.
       Only  the  package name is needed, do not supply any version or
release
       information.

       If the package is not currently installed, it will  be  downloaded
and
       installed, along with any dependencies that package requires.

       ��configure
              Configure  Update  Agent options.  This will allow you to
adjust
              things such as which files/packages to skip by default,
where to
              store retrieved packages, and more.

       �d, ��download
              download  packages  only,  do  not install them.  This
option is
              provided so that you can override the configuration  option
"Do

Kevin Lisciotti, CISSP
IT Audit - FRB Boston
617-973-3039