Re: Network Time

On Sat, Dec 28, 2002 at 11:36:17AM +0700, David Sudjiman wrote:
> Dear All,
>
> I was told that if I wanna sync my local date/time I should do it with
> rdate <a_time_server> and then sync it with my hwclock -w.

I'd use ntpd instead, it's more accurate.  I recently read somewhere
that if the kernel notices its internal time being synced with an
external source (via ntp, for example), it will automatically adjust
the hardware clock every 11 seconds, so you don't need to use hwclock.

> How can I get the list of those time server? and

Search google for "public ntp servers".

> What is the diff with the ntpd, is that ntpd gives the query result to
> some clients issued with rdate command?

This is not a well-formed English sentence, so I'm not entirely sure
what you're asking.  But I'll try to answer it...

rdate uses the RFC 868 time protocol, rather than NTP.  In order to
use it, you need a host that answers these queries.  It's most often
used on small networks to sync the times of hosts to one host
considered to have the authoritative time.  It's not a very accurate
protocol.

NTP is a much more accurate protocol.  The time protocol has mostly
fallen into disuse, for that reason, except perhaps at smaller sites
who don't much care how accurate their system times are.  NTP allows
you to sync machines to extremely accurate times, controlled by (at
the top tier) atomic clocks syncronized to UTC.  Generally, you would
syncronize one of your machines to one or more tier 2 or (usually)
tier 3 servers, and sync the rest of your machines (if you have any)
to that one machine.

ntpd is used to keep a system syncronized, but the package also comes
with ntpdate, which works a lot like rdate -- it does a one-time sync
against an ntp server.

You can use redhat-config-date to set up NTP time syncronization.  You
should probably read the NTP documentation, located in
/usr/share/doc/ntp-4.1.1a, in order to make sure you have it set up
correctly, and that you're being a good Netizen (i.e. nice to the
public time servers, which can get quite busy).  Also, in order to use
most of the public servers, the site admins often expect you to
send them e-mail notifying them that you are using one of their
servers (usually you don't need permission in advance -- they just
want to know who's using their servers).  Contact info is generally
provided at the same place the public NTP servers are listed.

One other note:  Unless you are dual-booting some version of Windows,
which is brain-damaged with respect to keeping time, you should keep
your hardware clock set to UTC.  If you do so, and you have your time
zone set properly, Linux will automatically adjust for DST changes.
If you're dual-booting M$, however, Windows expects the hardware clock
to be set to local time.  It updates the hardware clock when a DST
change occurs.

I have a system that dual-boots windows, and the way I handle this is
to set my hardware clock to UTC, and to set my time zone in Windows to
GMT (or UTC, which is the same thing).  The time displayed in Windows
is wrong (but I don't use it that much so I don't care), but at least
if I send e-mail from it (which I generally don't) the time stamps
will reflect the correct time (albeit the wrong timezone).

- --
Derek D. Martin
http://www.pizzashack.org/
GPG Key ID: 0xDFBEAD02