UUU: Us Unanointed Users (an un-rant)

	This replies mainly to the whole thread that developed from
my kill-app question, but also to a couple of other posts here on
the RedHat psyche-list that've scratched the same itch -- or poked
a thorn into it. <grin>

	I mean that, especially the thorn bit, in a friendly and
grateful sense. The kill-app thread, with several names in it to
whom I'd be honored to bow any day, went beyond my grasp almost at
once. But it did eventually bring me something valuable -- not the
answer I wanted, but a little enlightenment -- telling me for
instance what the much-mentioned "metacity" is, that I hadn't the
foggiest notion how to say, let alone discuss, and what my old
kill-app command actually did under its GUI wrapper. (Both those
are surprisingly non-obvious matters to the n00bish. I hadn't known
where to look;  they sprang full-grown from the foreheads of Alpha
Plus Nerds, afaik.)

	I write hoping I may be of some help because, as it
happens, the baby boomers have trodden on my heels, in their
throngs and myriads, all the days of their lives. I'm just enough
older so that they still hit most of the same decisions, two to
seven years after I do; and that interval is already shrinking.

	As the boomers retire, they get the time and choice at last
to break the MuddySlime chains that bound them at work. Some have
spent year after year working under an OS they despise -- because
the choice was not theirs, and because their ten- and twelve-hour
days left them neither the hours nor the energy to learn another --
till now.

	They can spend years learning linux from the command line
up, as if it were no better than DOS; some will, or will try. I
did. Some would prefer to, knowing (for instance by having run pine
at work, as I did, over a telnet link from an MS workstation) that
keyboard-driven anything is good -- *after* you master it.

	Those whose job required *using* machines, often with a
large stable of expert troubleshooters to back them up, will get
very frustrated trying to learn from the command line, though --
and many even of the ones who try it will eventually give up. As I
did. Not give up on getting away from MS; they'd kill first. Give
up on learning a manual or three of commands, before ever getting
any practical good out of the exercise, knowing as you start that
the brand-new manual is already out of date for what you have.
Patience grows with age, to be sure -- but selectively.

	Learning command lines is a lot like learning a natural
language:  your first (whether English, Finnish, Japanese, or
Basque) takes ten or fifteen years *more* than you realize, because
you do it by nature, and aren't aware of the incredible amount of
work you do. Watch a child. But nobody, *nobody* learns foreign
languages -- i.e., second to N-th languages -- that way unless
there is no choice. It's best, sure, but it takes too long.

	The throngs & myriads aren't going to have the time, even
if they had the patience, to learn the way all you otherwise
excellent native coders did.

	Learning through a GUI is more like learning another
language. You can use what you have (the first language, or the
GUI) to enable you to absorb much bigger chunks at a time: big
enough ones to start using much sooner.

	You may never achieve native command (though it can be
done) -- but you can get past the helpless stage and back into
eating, drinking, engineering, hiking and exploring new mountains
(as opposed to exploring new words and phrases) way sooner. So you
still have a foreign accent? Big honkin deal!

	How many different natural languages can your average
computer a/o Net hotshot use well enough to pass for a native? Is
the hotshot dumb because of that? Dumber in Finland than in
Germany, if a native speaker of English only? Does having the
entire works of an author or a century at my fingertips benefit me
less because my linux is awkward?

	Straight answer: yes, of course it does -- and it's worth
it. Especially as compared to being monolingual, or chained to the
Gates of Hell.

	The big difference, of course, is that natural languages
just grow, like bramble patches; even with the help of grammars and
teachers, they're still basically practical first, and rational
about tenth, if not hundredth. GUIs seem (if only to me in my
ignorance) to grow like gardens -- with all the range between a
formal garden at Versailles, say, and one in England that's
designed (to the inch!) to *seem* natural ...

	So for what strollers a/o eaters are you gardening and
GUIing? For what ones is RedHat guiing? Tell me, and especially
those hordes of boomers about to come thundering down on you,
*Please* tell us, how to choose gardens! We don't *want* to trample
stuff -- and we don't go to Versailles for vegetables, either  --
but we do have to eat, and we also love beauty, even with our aged
eyeballs.
--
RR 'Beartooth' Neuswanger, PhD, etc. <karhunhammas (at) lserv.com>
Double Retiree, LUGger's Apprentice, Curmudgeon On Line