Re: Bug in pax ?

On 09:55 24 Dec 2002, Aaron Konstam <akonstam@Trinity.Edu> wrote:
| On Mon, Dec 23, 2002 at 01:44:16PM -0800, Gordon Messmer wrote:
| > On Mon, 2002-12-23 at 12:12, Aaron Konstam wrote:
| > > Acoording to the instructions:
| > > pax -w -x tar -f etc.tar /etc
| > > and
| > > tar -cf etc.tar /etc
| > > should result in the same archive but the former produces errors of
| > > the form:
| > > pax: File name too long for tar
| >
| > GNU tar uses some extensions to the standard tar format that pax
| > probably does not.  I think it'd likely be closed in bugzilla as
| > NOTABUG.
| I would be more convinced if this error did not occur using pax in RH
| 7.3. Unfortunately bugzilla is down so I can't check.

Be convinced.

GNU tar (the tar on your Linux system) uses a nonstandard format extension
to handle long pathnames. Pax does not. The error message is correct
behaviour. You could use -x to choose a different format (eg cpio).
Why do you want to unpack with pax instead of with tar anyway? Generally
you want to use the same tool for create and extract regardless of the
archive format.

Cheers,
--
Cameron Simpson, DoD#743        cs@zip.com.au    http://www.zip.com.au/~cs/

I like pigs. Dogs look up to us. Cats look down on us. Pigs treat us as equals.
	- Winston Churchill (1874-1965)