Re: Much Slower than 7.2?

On Mon, Dec 23, 2002 at 11:20:25AM -0800, Tom Ball wrote:
> I also found 8.0 much slower for my smaller builds.  One thing that's
> different in 8.0 is the ext3 filesystem, which I converted to when
> upgrading.  By default it runs in ordered data mode, which causes writes
> to disk to happen much more frequently than on ext2 filesystems.

Yes, particularly on /tmp.  Traditionally, ext2 was so fast that the
performance of /tmp was not an issue, but journalling changes that.

I've been using tmpfs on my systems without problems.  There are a few
corner cases that have been cleaned up recently (see lkml), but in
practice it has not been a problem.  tmpfs need never write to swap if
there is no memory pressure; it is a useful complement to the use of
journalling filesystems for truly persistent data.  Remember that use
of meta-data only journalling poses a potential information leakage
(i.e., security) problem on a multiuser system, especially when used
on /tmp ...

To use tmpfs, one can just add a line like the following to /etc/fstab:

/tmp                    /tmp                    tmpfs   defaults        0 0

See mount(8) in the man pages for details of the available options:

Mount options for tmpfs
       The following parameters accept a suffix k, m  or  g  for  Ki,  Mi,  Gi
       (binary kilo, mega and giga) and can be changed on remount.

       size=nbytes
              Override  default  size of the filesystem.  The size is given in
              bytes, and rounded down to entire pages.  The default is half of
              the memory.

       nr_blocks=
              Set number of blocks.

       nr_inodes=
              Set number of inodes.

       mode=  Set initial permissions of the root directory.

Regards,

	Bill Rugolsky