Re: looking for good small linux installations

On Thu, Dec 19, 2002 19:27:57 at 07:27:57PM -0800, Jack Bowling (jbinpg@shaw.ca) wrote:
> On Thu, Dec 19, 2002 at 03:06:23PM -0800, Taylor, ForrestX wrote:
> > JBRENNANSARDOU@aol.com wrote:
> > >Hello everybody,
> > >                   I'm in education and I am trying to recycle small
> > >time Pentiums with small disks : some only have disks of about 170megas.
> > >Are there any linux versions out there which take up only about 110
> > >megas thus leaving some space for data.
> > >Thanks for any advice perhaps I should give up the ghost and be realistic?
> > >John Brennan-Sardou
> > >jbrennansardou@aol.com
> >
> > Try the RULE project first (http://www.rule-project.org/en/), although
> > 170MB is pretty small.  Perhaps you could combine all of the hard drives
> > into one server and use LTSP (http://www.ltsp.org/).
>
> You may also want to check out Linux in Schools. They are bigtime backers of
> LTSP (Linux Terminal Server Project) which is a much more cost effective
> way to recycle old PCs.

Yes, if there is a new PC to hook them to. There is also no doubt that
LTSP is much more mature than RULE: they started first. If there is a
network to build anyway the thin client/server approach of LTSP is a
very good solution

In any case, the two projects are complementary in that (= stand alone
vs networked PC approach) and many other ways. There is no real
competition/overlapping in my opinion.

Right now I am running the latest RULE iso image from RH 8.0 package on a
P133 with 32 MB of RAM. I haven't customized it yet, but is ~400 MB
on disk with standard X and several servers and web tools installed.
The ISO itself is ~24 MB. We haven't announced it yet because it is
alpha, and because I need to work on the website taking advantage of
the holydays. As a matter of fact, this is not an announce, just a
request to the original poster to give it a try and let me know off
list. The ISO url is:

http://savannah.nongnu.org/download/rule/slinky/slinky-v0.3.4/

details (right now) are only in the RULE mailing list archives.
Again, this is not a release announce, but a call for alpha testers,
YMMV, etc. etc...

	Best Regards,

			Marco Fioretti
			RULE project leader