Metacity hangs for several minutes when starting

Hi,

I'm using RHL 8 for a few weeks on a SMP machine. Gnome 2 used to load in approx. 10 seconds after logging in with GDM. Since a few days this takes approx. 5 minutes: after starting Gnome 2 the "Metacity" icon pops up, then several minutes nothing (noticeable) happens (e.g. no hdd activity); after this, the start-process continues and finishes successfully after a few seconds. This delay doese *not* exist when stating KDE or another Window Manger like WindowMaker and was *not* there after upgrading from RHL 7.3 to 8.0, but I can't remember what I might have changed to cause this.

Can anyone please point me to information how to track down what happens? As I understand the start-process of the "Bluecurve" UI, the X Server has finished loading, started the Window Manager Metacity, so the problem is either related to Metacity or the next thing which is being loaded after the Window Manager, right? Is there a log file or something where I can possibly find debugging information?

Thanks in advance,
-Agon