Re: Red Hat 8 - Instability - AGAIN

On Fri, 20 Dec 2002 16:11:39 -0300
medina@campinas.unimed.com.br wrote:

> I have to tell you that I love Linux, but sometimes I lose my temper
> with it.     I have dual boot ( RH and Win98 ) and my Win98 is much
> more stable than RH. They use the same hardware for 3 years (or more),
> and RH is the only one that hangs !    Strange because it suppose be
> Win98...   :-)))

Not really.  Win98 seems to be able to run on failing hardware.  I've
come across plenty of times where win98 will happily run, and crash
every now and again, or corrupt files every now and again, whereas
Linux, if I tried to compile something, would throw errors.  Find it
it's due to a bad stick of ram that has been in the box for a while.  I
never knew why certain files would get trashed on Windows, but as soon
as I replaced the ram, everything was happy again.  I think it's because
Win98 doesn't put enough checksums or whatnot, and doesn't catch
hardware errors like it should.

--
Jesse Keating RHCE MCSE
For Web Services and Linux Consulting, Visit --> j2Solutions.net

Was I helpful?  Let others know: