Kernel panic with ext3 root set to writeback

Has anyone been able to boot Red Hat 8.0 with an ext3 root device with
it set to writeback mode?  When I add bootflags=mode=writeback to my
kernel line in Grub, the kernel panics because it doesn't recognize the
option.  It looks like the kernel first mounts the drive as a ext2, then
quickly switches over to ext3.  The problem appears to be it checking
the bootflags before making the switch.

Any ideas on how to fix this?  I'd really like to get some disk speed
back, lost when I upgraded to ext3.

Tom