Re: Macromedia Flash plugin 6 released for x86 Linux

From: "Jesse Keating" <hosting@j2solutions.net>

> On Thursday 19 December 2002 07:35, Kevin McConnell uttered:
> > But my point being that, we all know you wouldn't be
> > very happy if you went and visited a site that you
> > couldn't know what was going on simply because
> > everything there was graphical. I'm an old schooler
> > who believes that the internet wasn't really created
> > for sales and pictures, but more for the distribution
> > of information... useful information at that.
>
> Not to mention it's quite difficult for a blind person to use text2speech
> tools to view your webpage.  I think there are some countries that will
shut
> down local company websites if they don't have a text alternative, much
like
> our country (USA) will go after companies that don't have wheelchair
access
> to their facilities or whatnot.  Please keep in mind that not everybody
can
> see, not everybody can hear, and not everybody uses a webbrowser that is
the
> equivalent to a billboard for your company.  ACCESSABILITY is the key
word.

Jesse, this was the crusade that got me on the wrong side of
Delphi Internet management. I have some online friends who are
blind. And I have provided a "piss and moan shoulder" for them
from time to time. It just is not right to lock these people
out of websites. Another problem that has introduced itself to
me is vertigo. Some people have conditions that lead to hours
long attacks of vertigo. One of the things that can bring it
on for some of them is fast motions. They can't watch action
motion pictures, for example. They also have trouble with that
cute little thing called "animated advertisements". (I *HATE*
them, because I had one trigger an attack in me back when I
was having my problems with vertigo. Thank God that's in
abeyance for now!)

The people who bring you into their website and suggest "For
maximum enjoyment...." and have a flash site to which you can
click through. They also have a non-flash site, as well. (And
this is a good thing for another reason. Flash's security
record of late has not been good. People are finding a rash
of exploits. "Surprise surprise!")

{^_^}