Re: kde konsole has no font set

On Thursday 19 December 2002 10:43 am, Ross Macintyre wrote:
> Hi, I hope someone can help.
> I have set up redhat 8.0 on a few machines with a view to running 8.0
> in a lab here at Heriot-Watt University.
> I guess the setups haven't been run exactly the same because some
> machines are acting differently from others. (This has never bothered
> me in the past as I check that all the machines have the same
> software later by running 'rpm -qa', comparing the output, and then
> updating or deleting rpms to make the machines the 'same')
> But now I have done this, I find only one machine seems to run a
> konsole from kde correctly. When I fire up a konsole on the machines
> that don't work correctly, there is no font set and the list of fonts
> offered is quite large compared to the machine where it is working. The
> machine on which konsole behaves correctly offers only these 4 fonts
> from Settings/Font/Custom:
>   Courier
>   Courier 10 Pitch
>   Lucidatypewriter
>   Luxi Mono
>   Monospace
> and Monospace is the default.
>
> Whereas on the machines where the font has to be set explicitly to make
> it work, there is a much wider choice of fonts, but no default set, and
> no Monospace font offered.
> Can someone tell me where this list of fonts is found?
> Is the xfs font server involved here?
> By the way, the machine has the monospace font as default, works when I
> sit at the console, but if I connect to it using exceed from an NT PC,
> then it also appears broken.
>
> I believe I have applied all the RedHat updates that there are.
>
> Searching the net I saw a fix that said I should set
> LANG=C
> export LANG
> at the end of /etc/profile.d/lang.sh, but this didn't help.

This shouldn't be necessary.

> It did remind me however of one fix that I did apply, which was to
> comment out the 1st line of /etc/sysconfig/i18n to fix the fonts when I
> run the man command:
> #LANG="en_GB.UTF-8"

Did you replace that line with something else?
LANG="en_GB" should work. The default value of "en_GB.UTF-8" should also
work. Simply create an alias for the man command to work around the UTF-8
issue. I made mine in /etc/bashrc:
alias man='LANG="C" man'

I've no idea if either of those will sort out the font issues, but it
should be a good place to start.

- --
- -Michael

- --