gnome applets or swallowed apps

I'm trying to migrate from redhat 7.2 to 8.0. Currently I have a gnome
applet written in perl. Sadly it seems that Gtk-Perl no longer includes
applet support, so I can't run this applet. Also the swallowed app
function from gnome 1.4 is no longer available, so I can't write a
standalone gtk-perl program and include it on the panel that way

Is there (or will there be) any way to write perl applets?

If not, is there any way to get the panel to swallow apps?

Failing that, is there any way to write python applets?

Pointers to any documentation on this will be gratefully received.

One last thing, on redhat 7.2 I use the asclock_applet, but on 8.0 the
only clock applet I can find is a boring text clock. Are there any other
clocks applets available?

Thanks,

Chris Rouch