RE: Dual Boot Setp

Your bets bet is to throw away the 3gig, use only the 40, Install Windows 2k first using Fat 32, on however much of the drive you wish to use.  Then after the 2K install, put in the RedHat 8 CD, preform the install and select "Manually Partition With Disk Druid".  Create at a minumum a 100MB /boot partition, a 512 swap partition and the rest to the mount point of /   Also be sure to use Grub as your boot loader.  Its Graphical and more helpful to navigate if anything goes wrong with the drive.

You wont need a boot floppy, you can boot of the CD's.

-----Original Message-----
From: psyche-list-admin@redhat.com [mailto:psyche-list-admin@redhat.com]On Behalf Of Kris Carter
Sent: Wednesday, December 18, 2002 11:42 AM
To: psyche-list@redhat.com
Subject: Dual Boot Setp

Hello,

I have two seperate hard drives; the boot drive is 3 GB and has Win2k SP3 installed.  I am new to Linux and have Red Hat 8.0.  I have a second (slave) drive that is roughly 40GB in size.  I have just installed a new Intel P3 Celeron board with 1.4 Ghz Processor with 256 MB RAM

First Id like to create a dual boot setup and am not quite sure how to set that up with Linux.
Second.. I am creating a RAWRITE boot disk... and if this were Windows I could boot with my disk, and install Windows from the I386 folder into whatever drive I wanted. Is it that simple with Linux?

- Kris