Re: USB Hard Disks

> hard drives on USB 1.1 are virtually unusable
>
> I had problems with USB 2.0 on RH 7.3, sometimes worked, sometimes
> locked up. Firewire is better bet.

Hello,

Are you sure it wasnt a bad controller?  I have used USB for quite some
time, and I can honestly say different hardware responds differently.
My current machine has used a USB Mouse, Camera, MP3 upload cable, and
CD-RW for quite some time now, on both USB1.1 (which I dislike only
because of the speed) and 2.0 (which is really nice to have -- speed is
nice).

I would take a look at an add on card or something.  I had to buy a 2.0
addoncard from Maxtor and that has been doing rather well.  Plus take a
look at the HW compatibility for those in the kernel.  I am sure that if
you had a boot disk this would be fine, just booting directly off of the
USB device may not work due to the kernel not seeing it and the BIOS not
having support for that kind of thing.