Re: system-wide configuration for user accounts

I handle this with /local/profile.d )an analogue to the /etc/profile.d).
I tack onto /etc/profile a line which sources my "local profile master"

/local/profile.d/<hostname>.sh

which in turn sources a list of applicable scripts based on user/group/...
(ie root, or eng group, or regular users, ...)

/local/profile.d/functions
/local/profile.d/pathfunctions

/local/profile.d/java.sh
/local/profile.d/oracle.sh
/local/profile.d/<project.sh>
/local/profile.d/netscape.sh
/local/profile.d/informix.sh

and so on.

The primary "trick" required here is defining a set of
PATH, CDPATH, and CLASSPATH component variables
and supporting pathfunctions which allow each script to append/prepend or replace
the appropriate pieces of the PATH, CLASSPATH, etc.

I used my own /local/profile.d so I had my own namespace and so I could
override "defaults" installed by various apps into /etc/profile.d

Further, I have found it a lot easier to upgrade and migrate to new versions when
this (and other) purely local configuration information is separate from /etc/
(and /usr/local).

In addition, a lot of these scripts are more organization or application oriented and can be readily copied to multiple machines.

I also keep backup copies in /local/etc of the handful of files that change in /etc, (and the like). I then write /local (and a couple other directories eg. /java, /db) to a CD-RW or another machine. If/when I need to reinstall and/or build a similar workstation, I install stock, restore /local, copy to /etc, (and the like) and I'm up and running.

R.Parr
Temporal Arts

Paul Hamm wrote:

I handle this the same way. I agree that it is more extensable for
corporate wide system configurations. On a one off system it may be easier
to use /etc/profile but maintaining a large number of machines each with a
slightly different /etc/profile is just a PITA.