Re: printing in RH with Lexmark

On Sunday 15 December 2002 11:15 am, "Jeff" <jhilson@columbus.rr.com>
wrote:
> From: "Jeff" <jhilson@columbus.rr.com>
> To: <psyche-list@redhat.com>
> Subject: printing in RH with Lexmark
> Date: Sun, 15 Dec 2002 06:30:43 -0500
>
> It is my lot in life to have a Z32. I installed the driver, changed from
> = USB to cable, played with the fool thing for a day, and still can only
> = get it to print if I turn it off and on after each job. Printer works
> = fine in dos or windows. I thought ibm was supporting linux? What's =
> MarkVision software?

I'm using a lexmark z32 and it works normally.  I have to run it as root,
with LPRng (not cups).  For your parallel connector, make sure your BIOS
is set up for the parallel port in the proper mode (I can't recall if it's
ECP or bidirectional, and I'd rather not shutdown my PC to find out ..
ain't it great the way linux will run for days).  I'm using
lexmarkz22-z32-GC-3.i386.rpm, which is an older version (3/12/2002) from
the lexmark site.  After you install the rpm, don't forget to issue:

a. /etc/rc.d/init.d/lpd stop
b. /etc/rc.d/init.d/lpd start

to get the printer recognized.

I tried the newer lexmarkz22-z32-1.0-5.i386.rpm version (4/12/2002) and
some of the features didn't work (i.e. clear print nozzles, etc.).  If you
want to try the older rpm, and can't find it on lexmark.com, send me your
email address directly and I'll mail it to you (about 1.5 MB).

Also, note the advice in the README with the driver:

* Use a fully-shielded IEEE 1284-compliant parallel printer cable. We
recommend Lexmark part number 1329605 or equivalent. If problems occur
while printing through a switch box, remove the switch box and connect
the printer directly to the computer. If communications errors persist,
turn off the printer, unplug the printer power cord for 30 seconds then
plug it back in, and press the Power button.