Re: AMD K6-2 identified as i586?

On Sun, 2002-12-15 at 00:43, Mr. Adam ALLEN wrote:
> On Sat, 2002-12-14 at 21:54, John H. Ingersoll, Jr. wrote:
> > Running RH 8.0 on a Compaq Presario 7470.
> >
> > KDE -> Preferences -> Information -> Processor ID's my
> > AMD K6-2 as "CPU family 5". Is this saying it's a
> > pentium  - not a pentium-II class processor?
> >

> I remember back in the day when AMD-K6-3 was a new processor it was
> marketed as better performing than an equivalent Intel PII - however it
> is classified as an i586- so i686 RPM's are not a good idea.

The K6 family does NOT support some instructions of the Pentium Pro
and later processors (except for the Pentium MMX) so if you use 686
binaries on a K6 they will crash.

> As far as I remember there is a "k6" optimisation when compiling, though
> how much difference there is between i586 and k6 and i686 is one for
> debate by those who care and understand more than I do.
>
> > My concern is with installing RPMs optimized for i686,
> > whether this will cause any problems.
> >
> > Up until now, I've always stuck with those optimized
> > for i386 (i.e. generic) or i586.

The 386 RPMs are not optimized for the 386.  They are optimized for the
PII/PIII/Celeron family ie when deciding how to generate code Gcc bases
on the 686 timetable. It just doesn't use the whole instruction set.
686 RPMs are compiled with the whole instruction set but on most
programs this brings only minimal improvements respective to
programs optimized for the 686 buyt with 386 instructions.  Thus only
when there are processor-specific parts written in assembler (whose use
impedes running on  a lesser procesor) does it make sense to compile for
i686.

My experience is that the K6 family gets very good performance from
binaries optimized for the 686 (with 386 instructions) like those you
get with Redhat, nearly as good
as when optimiezd specifically for the K6 , quite better than when
optimized for the 386 and _far_ better than when
optiized for the Pentium (even with whole instruction set), so you
could test replacing your 586 RPMS by the 386 versions.  YMMV because
there are assmebler parts in those RPMs

			JFM