RPM replacement woes

I recently removed the RH8 rpms of rpm and replaced them with the 4.1
source files from rpm.org, in order to try to get my source version of
Kpackage running.

My problem is getting the source version to read the rpm database, as it
does not know what packages are installed, and this is quite a mess, since
rpm without its database just about useless. I understand that the
database is kept in /var/lib/rpm.

When I uninstalled rpm by rpm, in /var/lib a directory was saved as
rpm.rpmsave. When I installed from source, it created a directory called
/var/lib/rpm.

I have tried changing /var/lib/rpm.rpmsave to /var/lib/rpm and rpm did not
appear to read anything from there.

What do I need to do to get rpm to read the old database?
--
Rob Blomquist
Kirkland, WA

On the side of the software box, in the 'System Requirements' section, it
said
'Requires Windows 95 or better'. So I installed Linux and lived happily
ever
after.