Re: ok to upgrade RH8 to Mozilla 1.2.1?

Randall J. Parr wrote:

I'd like to upgrade to Mozilla 1.2.1 BUT am concerned that I will break things
[given all the "integration", "bastardization", and "incompleteness" of the RH8 desktop]

I'd like the new features but I don't want to break things (esp not up2date).

Any opinions as to the safety (or benefit) of upgrading RH8 to Mozilla 1.2.1?
I don't think the upgrade to 1.2.1 will break anything, as long as you upgrade Galeon to a compatible release at the same time, but I haven't tried it. Doing an rpm -q --whatrequires mozilla shows that only galeon and mozilla-* packages depend on it. The "Web Browser" icon belongs to the htmlview package.

You could always stick Mozilla 1.2.1 in /usr/local, as I have, and it shouldn't break anything that depends on Mozilla 1.0.1. You can even make the "Web Browser" desktop icons point to it by placing the line

X11BROWSER=/usr/local/mozilla-1.2.1/mozilla

(or whatever the path to your mozilla is) in a file called /etc/htmlview.conf or ~/.htmlviewrc (depending on whether you want to make this system-wide or per-user).

(And galeon fans, you can use this very same trick to make galeon the default web browser, too.)

Hopefully, in 8.1, Red Hat will do something as clever as /usr/bin/htmlview for the standard e-mail client.

Rich

--
From the notebook of Rich Renomeron
No trees died for this e-mail, but many electrons were inconvenienced.