Re: zip disc

On Fri, 2002-12-13 at 19:17, Richard E Miles wrote:
> I used to have a zip disc 100. When I formated the disc as ext2 I had to
> mount the disk form /dev/sda1. Microsoft formated discs mounted on
> /dev/sda4.

This is normal.  Here is an explanation which I found easily on the web
using http://google.com/linux and "zip disk 100 ext2".

http://www.linuxmall.com/resources/nlm/part1/fstab.html

In short:

To mount a Windows-formatted (vfat) Zip disk, you could enter:

mount -t vfat /dev/hdc4 /mnt/zip

By the way, that 4 tagged onto hdc is because Windows/DOS-formatted Zip
disks use partition 4. (Macs must use partition 4, so having Windows PCs
also use partition 4 prevents compatibility problems.)

Or if you need to mount a Linux-formatted (ext2) Zip disk, you could
enter:

mount -t ext2 /dev/hdc1 /mnt/zip
Note

A Linux-formatted (ext2) Zip disk uses partition 1 instead of 4 because
to format it as an ext2 disk you first need to "fdisk" it to remove the
vfat filesystem. In Fdisk you'll assign it the first partition, not the
fourth. Details of how to format floppy disks and Zip disks in Linux
feature in a later chapter.