Re: Intel® 82845G Extreme Graphics on-boardVideo Card

On Fri, 2002-12-13 at 16:50, mike@jurney.org wrote:

> On Fri, 13 Dec 2002 cbice@megavolt.com wrote:
>
> > Ok, Im about ready to blow up this new Dell PC.  It has an Intel® 82845G
> > Extreme Graphics on-board Video Card with 64MB of RAM.  I cannot for the
> > life of me, get the XWindow server in RH8.0 to work with it.  The monitor
> > im using is a Gateway FPD1520 15" Flat Panel. It works wonderfully in
> > Windoze, but a no go in linux.  This is a brand new system from Dell.  Any
> > help would be greatly appreciated.
>
> The VESA driver will give you very generic video support with this
> chipset.  RedHat XF86 rpms currently do _not_ support it;  You have to
> either try building XFree86 from current cvs or wait for a few months.  I
> hit this problem last week with a new development box.

My wife had the same problem with her new Dell.  We wound up putting a
PCI Radeon 7500 in the extra PCI slot.  Things worked fine then, aside
from redhat-config-xfree86 getting very confused at having two video
cards (partly because the Dell bios doesn't let you completely disable
the onboard video card).

I believe that the latest XFree86 RPMs in Rawhide provide support for
these cards.  I think Mike Harris told me that they did, but I haven't
tried it out since the Radeon is working fine in my wife's machine.
Maybe Mike has more information...Mike?

Cheers,
   Brent